Our furniture is beautifully designed and built using techniques some of which have been passed down through generations of traditional upholstery makers. Using some of the finest leather hides and cloths from prestigious fabric houses such as Linwood and Warwick ensures the finishing materials compliment the quality of our build.
Leathers - – Request Free Swatch
We know when it comes to making a decision for your home it is important to get as much advise as possible. With over 50 years manufacturing experience with the best quality UK hides, we are both pleased and qualified to offer our assistance. Leather is a naturally beautiful product and we believe the best looking sofas are created using leathers that are tanned to realize the inherent character and integrity of the hide. Aniline and Semi-Aniline leather are pigmented with natural aniline dyes to ensure the unique variation of each hide is preserved. Our aniline leathers are produced using only the top 5% of hides to create the wonderful display of leathers presented in our range. We avoid using lower quality coloured leathers whose natural characteristics tend to have been obscured in the manufacturing process, enabling the production of fine bespoke English furniture.
Our friendly staff are always on hand to help with the decision making and further explain the differing leather options available. Free samples of leathers are also available by calling / e-mailing the sales office or using our free brochure page online to select upto 6 different samples.
Fabrics - Request Free Swatch
When it comes to choosing fabrics, we know our customers are interested in both beautiful designs and suitability for everyday use. Now, we do know a thing or two about fabrics but not as much as our favourite fabric houses. We work hard to find some of the worlds best fabric mills and quality fabrics from simple modern linens and velvets to luxurious heavy wools. All of our fabrics are held in stock in the UK enabling our production within the standard lead time of around 8 weeks. Many of the selected fabrics are also suitable for use in curtains, whilst this is not our area of expertise we can recommend a curtain maker if required, or simply supply additional fabric for your own use. Our wide range of fabrics can be used on any of our upholstery designs, but again if your unsure of which fabric is best suited for your home our sales team will be happy to assist.
All of frames are manufactured here in our Manchester factory from sustainable solid seasoned beech wood. Each frame is robustly engineered to ensure your sofa will be cherished for years to come.
We use Walnut as our default wood colour however any visible wood from the smallest foot to the full frame can be coloured to any of our standard wood colours, don’t forget to make your selection in the ‘personalise your sofa’ page prior to checkout.
All of our foam and fibre filling comply with current UK fire regulations and our manufacturing construction is sufficient to surpass both domestic and contract standard. Please specify commercial use if required on your order and please ask a member of our sales team about our additional contract furniture range also available.
A variety of cushion fillings are available to suit individual tastes:
- Duratech - Awarded the Furniture Industries Research Association (FIRA) Gold Award for product excellence. With the production of fibres made from recycled plastic bottles the innovative three dimensional spiral fibre has been tested to provide 95% loft retention after 5 years use. This technology provides a new dimension in high quality seat cushions designed specifically for today’s lifestyle.
- Foam and Fibre Wrap - Our ever popular foam and fibre wrapped cushion cushions is still the choice for over 70% of our customers. The foam seat ensures the interiors and cushions retain their shape, whilst the fibre top adds to soften the sit, creating a supportive yet comfortable sit.
- Fully Fibre - A fully fibre seat is softer than foam, but will require regular plumping to maintain it’s shape. These seats are sometimes used with our vintage leather Chesterfields and Wing Chairs
- Rustic Foam - The Rustic foam seat has been produced deeper but with a lower density creating a softer, semi-sink into sit, but still offering the recovery you would expect with a quality upholstery foam.
- Feather Top - The Feather Top benefits from having a foam core with a luxurious feather topping. This helps the cushion mantain its shape and loft over a number of years while still giving the soft and vintage wavy effect of a premium feather interior.
- Buttoned Seat – Optionally available on our Chesterfield Sofas, chesterfield designs are available with a hand buttoned seat platform instead of the traditional firm foam cushion seat.
- Individual sprung seat interiors, exclusively available on the Piccadilly and Milan models. Springs inside the seat cushion ensure a perfect appearance all year round.
- Firm Foam – tailored precisely for the demands and style aspirations of the traditionalist and used as standard on our Traditional leather Chesterfield Sofas and Chairs. Firm with a full recovery.
- Cushion Stitching – Many of our sofas feature stitching details that perfectly compliments the design of our sofas, however over the years we have been asked for differing stitching finishes or piping. The English Sofa Company unlike many other manufactures actually offer our customers the luxury of bespoke tailoring with the selection of cushion finishing.
- Piping - Historically reserved for use with fabric sofas and chairs, but equally stunning when combined with some of our traditional leather models.
- Twin Stitch / Double Stitch – sometimes recognised as a saddle stitch, twin stitching is shown off well with our vintage leathers and the effect is a relaxed appearance visible on our Bronx model.
- Top Stitched – When simplicity is the aim, a simply top stitch is the answer. An understated finish that practical and stylish, shown off well on our Wilmslow sofa.
The choice of the feet used on a sofa is a simple yet personal decision. The English Sofa Company is pleased to offer eleven different styles from simple solid wooden feet in various round or square shapes and sizes through to modern chrome blocks or casters. Select your sofa and size and then specify your feet choice and even colour in the ‘personalise your sofa’ section prior to ordering online.
Hand studs or stud nails are individually fitted to all of our Chesterfield designs. Often our signature Renaissance Stud (antique on steel) is suitable, but once again the luxury of tailoring your furniture continues with the choice of stud colours or even a piping option as a alternative to the traditional stud.
Many of our great sofa designs are available as sofa beds and are supplied with a 5” sprung mattress as standard. A two fold metal frame with 1/3 webbing and 2/3 wooden slats form the base providing great support when used as a bed and optimum comfort when enjoyed as a sofa. Memory foam mattresses are optionally available on our contemporary range of leather and fabric sofas.
Restrictions in the nature of the design of our Chesterfield sofa means that only a 3.5” - 4” foam mattress can be fitted onto a 3 fold action, with a fully webbed base, without wooded slats.
Bolt On Arms
This additional service has enabled many customers to get one of our great sofas into some of the smallest of spaces. By altering the frame construction prior to upholstery we are able to offer many of our sofas with a construction design that enables the arms to be attached to the frame following delivery into the home. Our experienced furniture handlers will remove the packaging and securely bolt the arms to the frame of the sofa. Structurally sound and aesthetically unchanged the bolt on arm option has worked perfectly for many customers, with the added bonus that the arms can easily be taken off with a small amount of effort enabling the furniture to be removed from the home and move with you should the occasion arise.
Fabric - Stain Resist Treatment
Many of our beautiful fabric sofas have the option of fabric treatment to guard against spills and stains. Ask a member of our team for more details.